Sunday, January 12, 2014

Play it Forward...simple concept

Life can be so chaotic at times where you can barely get a thought in and take five minutes to yourself. It can be a demanding mistress that takes everything out of you at the end of the day. So when you do have that thought of Y'know I should do something redeeming. Play it forward. It doesn't have to be anything major. A cup of coffee for someone or made an offer of a lunch paid. Or maybe just be helpful. It only takes a second to let someone know that you care and that you are a decent human being. The experience is truly uplifting. I know cliche... But listen...

Today I did something that was amazing. It wasn't anything big. Nothing that cost a lot. It was something that meant something to someone else. I bought  the old fellow that was behind me in Starbucks a cup of coffe and a muffin. He patiently stood there while my children who were acting like squirrels around him. It turns out that this man was was a WWII and Korean War Veteran. He had just lost his wife, who he married right before he was shipped off to War in 1943. She apparently was his rock and that was so proud of him for serving so much that he continued in the service through the Korean War. She never complained. Loved him. When I told him our family's story, he quietly told me that we are a dying breed, the ones that love and support. He thanked me graciously for treating him to a cup of joe and a snack. I wished him a great day and went on my way. I know as I was walking out he sat there with a smile on his face. I would like to think that I had blessed his day a little and hopefully let him know that a perfect stranger can care.

With all the chaos that is happening, take pause and just do something simple for someone. As you never know when something unexpected will come your way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment