Thursday, September 10, 2015

Your Child's health is important to us.Blah, Blah Blah.

Its been a long week. Between trying to get back into the workplace after a 14 year absence and getting children back to school as well as juggle my schedule with my husband's to say that I am stretched a little thin is an understatement. I know that there are others that are rowing in the same boat I am all while trying to make sure our children are taken care off. So when we have something that makes our lives that little bit harder, we tend to grit our teeth, hunker down for the battle that needs to be fought and do what needs to get done.

I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that the people who do the administrative work in regards to my child's healthcare are people who strike me as ones who don't like their job very much. On top of being literally exhausted, I am finding that I am doing the administrative work of someone who should know better. This has been an ongoing struggle in the management of my youngest child, because his life is a little bit more complicated than the other two, it seems that so is the paper chase on getting appointments and procedures done. While I commend the people who genuinely help me through it all, there are the ones who road block me at every single turn. I know in the past that I have written about how I don't think its fair that a child, who can't help having a genetic disorder, who gets treated like just another number or statistic.As a parent it truly frustrates me to no end, when administrative staff of big medical centres or hubs talk about your child in that manor. It is also especially maddening when you are the one doing the job they are supposed to be doing, contacting your insurance to make sure things are covered or tracking down referrals, but there is nothing more infuriating that a person who completely screws you over, because of their unwillingness to do their job correctly.

For the fourth time this year, I have had to pull up my big girl socks, put my butt kick boots on and prepare for battle because someone in their infinite wisdom thought it was ok to mess with my child's healthcare. Yet again I had to cancel an appointment at a "Top" Medical Centre here in the area, because someone within their admin department can't get their shit together. Again we are talking about a five year old child, who can't help having something that requires extra doctors and services. I get that doing paperwork all day is monotonous. I have had that job, but at least when I did that job, I did it with pride. Why? BECAUSE IT WAS MY JOB! Every time I complain I get the same response "Your Child's health is important to us..."

So when is that going to be actually true? I mean as soon as you cut through all of the red tape and obstacles that have been lined up in front of you, you might get a decent doctor and medical staff that actually wants to help you out. But it is a sad reality for most of us, that by the time we get through all the administrative crap, we are so exhausted that we have to ask ourselves, "Is it worth it?"

The answer is yes. As much as it pisses us off that our children and loved ones are treated this way, we still must continue to make sure they are getting the best care they can. We continue to fight those who don't care about the job they do or those who think of your child or loved one as simply a number they have to deal with during a day.

Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that We, at the moment don't have another option for the medical my child is receiving, I would have walked out the door and never looked back. We are trying to make life easier, not harder.

Instead of getting annoyed at us caregivers when we ask you do your job or telling us because someone on your end messed up that we are financially responsible because the referral isn't where it should be, how about you treat us with respect and not idiots? Good Customer service goes a long way. And if you serve the public and you don't feel like doing your job, then look for another one that doesn't deal with us.

As for my situation, well I am just going to keep complaining till something gets down about a problem that is vital to my son's well being, as that is what a parent is all about. As my child is not just number and I am certainly not a person you can placate with false statements that you care about my child's well being.

No comments:

Post a Comment