Wednesday, February 11, 2015

No I won't back down

In the words of a certain Tom Petty, I won't back down.

Here's the deal, yesterday thanks to people who can't get along with the rest of the world, a fellow military spouse blogger was targeted. Her page and her twitter account were hacked into by a certain group, who's name honestly sounds more like a brand for a woman's douche than a fear mongering, US and it's allies hating bunch of people. Thus putting all of us who are military that blog on high alert.

 The question was asked, "Why would they target blogs and pages of military spouses? What would they gain by doing that?"They did it to rattle our feathers. Get us to quake in our so called boots. Try and demoralize our military. They wanted to show us that even through the lines of social media that they can still terrorize us. The message got out that we needed to lock our stuff up tight, tighter than Ft.Knox. I know that a good portion of us really take the time to work on the stuff that we put out there. We are proud of the writing we do or the information that gets put out. As we should. So what right do people have to take that right away from us? The answer is they don't. It is the perfect example of terrorism. Reeking havoc on those to get them to bow down. Whether it be domestic terrorism, International, cyber. Its all a form of terrorism. To make people have a sense of terror about something.

As things were happening around me yesterday, reading from my computer about the attacks on social media, as I tried to figure out what was the best plan of action , locking up my accounts and closing up shop, it dawned on me, this is what they want. They want us to bow down. They want us to be demoralized. They are trying to take our voices away. THEY want us to be afraid. But guess what? I am not going to stop doing what I like to do, in order to satisfy their wants and needs. Yeah I am just a lowly blogger at the end of a very large totem pole. I am just one voice out of millions. But that one voice can stand on a mountain and be heard.

After 9/11, we lived in this constant fear of everything that might have the intention of being a terrorist plot. It was a witch hunt to find those responsible for the 2nd international attack on US Soil since the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Understandably. And through the years since we have shown our strength as a Nation to overcome that fear. To show the true power that you will not back down is to show that it doesn't affect your life. Is it going to hinder us? Yes. I think back to seeing pictures of WWII Britain and France. Those people faced bombing upon bombings. Air Raid sirens and the destruction of towns. But in the face of all this, those people kept on going. The biggest "FU" they could give to Hitler, was to carry on. Live life. Through the rubble. Through the destruction. He never took away the fighting spirit. God knows he tried.. But never did he succeed.

So when we get attacked either on our own soil, foreign soil or cyber soil, it make me want to talk louder. It makes me want to write more. As I will not let them overshadow the message or the work that I have done for my people.  So no I will not back down. You can tear me down, I will only build it back up. As many times as needed.

"Well, I won't back down
No, I won't back down
You can stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down

No, I'll stand my ground, won't be turned around
And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down
Gonna stand my ground and I won't back down"


Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers- I won't back down

No comments:

Post a Comment