Sunday, April 1, 2018

The carnival of fond memories.

Most parents of children with special needs often find themselves in a pickle trying to find places that can accommodate our littles and our loved ones. Sure there are places like Morgan's Playground, but if you don't live even remotely close or can't afford to go to places like that, you are at a loss as to what you can do to ensure your child has the time of their lives and just be a kiddo, instead of a label or person that garners stares and unwelcomed comments. Even at the best of times, it is hard as a parent to try and figure out vacations and places we can take our special needs kiddos on or to. While places like Disneyworld/Land are trying to incorporate special needs persons, it still isn't perfect and not everyone can afford to go. Sure, I would love to take my son to go see his favorite characters from Disney, as I would love to capture that special moment when he gets to meet Mickey for the first time, but I know in my heart that he will not be able to handle the lines, even with a special pass, that we have to pay extra for and provide the documentation prove his disability, just for him to meet his idol. Most of parents wish we could give our special children that joy.So with that being said, a lot of us try and find the smaller amusements give joy to our children, who deserve it.

On the kick off to Autism Acceptance/Awareness month, this isn't going to be a blog post about the power of puzzle pieces or the sea of blue, but of a child that got so much joy out of something small. The other night we took our son to a local carnival. For most, it wouldn't be a big deal, but for him it was. It had every thing a small time carnival had to offer. Cheesy games, like win a fish and dart throws to the rides that make you sick that make you feel like your insides are on your outsides. For him it was everything he loved. Things that spin and light up, but best of all they had a swing ride. One that spun around and made a person feel like they could fly. Sure it squeaked and creaked and it needed a paint job, it didn't matter to him. He saw those swings and knew that, that was the ride he wanted to go on. So first ride off the bat, was the swings. I can't even express how much joy came to that boy's face. He flapped in excitement as I strapped him in to his chair. As I took my spot next to him, the verbal stims where just as noticeable, not that I cared. My boy was happy.  It wasn't until the ride started up, in that moment of movement, did he really get into his enjoyment. I was almost scared that he might of vibrated out of his chair. As I watched him from the seat next to him, I could tell that so many things were going through him. It wasn't just the lights or the fact that we were spinning around and around, but the experience for him was much more. For him, it was being able to be a kiddo. Getting so much joy out of this is what it meant for him to finally not be bothered by all the triggers, but to let loose. I think in his own mind he thought he was flying and he truly was.

From the swings we went on many other rides and we played some carnival games (which he ended up winning a green ball), but nothing compared to the swing ride. Sure, as the sun went down the lights of all the rides, lit up the night, which to our son was fun to watch. The cowards getting bigger, we decided to call it a night, but not without one more time on the swing ride. We got into our spots, I buckled my son in and away we went. This time I decided to take a couple of pictures of him, as I wanted a kodak moment of his joy. Sure enough, he gave me one the best photos I have of him. I wanted to remember and cherish this moment, because when we are hip deep in the chaos or going through a rough time, I will always have a photo of him in the throws of absolute joy. That photo will be my reminder that he is just a little boy who deserves happiness and joy just as much as the next kiddo.

No comments:

Post a Comment